Lost in Face
A hybrid-documentary film by Valentin Riedl - 2020
One out of a hundred people worldwide can't recognize familiar faces. Nevertheless, we walk down the street expecting everyone else to see the world through our lens. This hybrid film by neuroscientist Valentin Riedl introduces you to Carlotta's world where faces do not exist.
“As a neuroscientist and filmartist, Valentin merges abstract science with the artistic form of film to open a new world to the spectator”
LOST IN FACE - Trailer [EN]
Get notified about the cinematic or online release of LOST IN FACE in 2020:
- 06/20: German Documentary Film Award Winner "Best Debut"
- 03/20: Internationales Women's Film Festival: Winner "Best Cinematography" for Doro Götz
- 03/20: Filmfestival CPH:DOX
- 01/20: German Premiere at Film Festival Max Ophüls Preis: Winner "Audience Award Best Documentary" Winner "Best Music in a Documentary"
LOST IN FACE in the media
- BBC News (english) features Carlotta, her art, and the film LOST IN FACE in an extensive story "The artist in search of her face"
- Süddeutsche Zeitung (german): Article about the years-long process of shooting LOST IN FACE "A most sensitive approach to an incredible woman"
- BBC World News (english): Radio interview with Carlotta and Valentin "An incredible insight into the life of a woman who can't remember faces"
- Saarländischer Rundfunk (german): TV-broadcast and interview during Max-Ophüls Preis Festival
- Deutschlandfunk Kultur (german): Interview with Valentin
- Protagonist: Carlotta
- Director: Valentin Riedl
- Animation Director: Frédéric Schuld
- Director of Photography: Doro Goetz
- Editor: Ivan Morales Jr
- Sound Design & Re-recording: Andreas Hildebrandt
- Sound Design Animation: Simon Bastian
- Music: Antimo Sorgente
- Producer: Erik Winker, Martin Roelly
- A CORSO FILM Production
- World Sales: NEWDOCS
The following funding agencies generously supported LOST IN FACE:
- Film- und Medienstiftung NRW
- Die Beauftragte der Bundesregierung für Kultur und Medien (BKM)
- FilmFernsehFonds Bayern (FFFBayern)
- Wim Wenders Foundation